Cosmetics & Toiletries
“For the manufacturers and fillers of toiletries and cosmetics it is vital to ensure products are safe for consumers”
MCS can help you ensure that your products comply by organising the specific testing you need. This could include;
- Challenge Test / Preservative Efficacy Test (PET) The majority of products are required to have this test carried out on them. This test only needs to be carried out once per formulation.
- Total Viable Count (TVC) For the peace of mind that comes with knowing your product is free from contamination. The test can also help to identify potential problems early and prevent possible product recalls. This quick and low cost test would typically be carried out on each batch of product as you make it.
- Absence of Pathogen Testing Typically carried out alongside the TVC. This can determine the presence of pathogens like Staph aureus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, E coli and Candida albicans. We can help you decide which, if any, of these tests are appropriate for your product.
- Stability Testing To give you assurance that your product will maintain its intended physical and chemical quality when on the shelf of the retailer or the end user.
- Antibacterial Activity assessments To help with claims support and to ensure the best, most cost effective formulation.
- Environmental Monitoring To ensure your production facilities meet your expectations.
We have an adaptable approach allowing us to respond to your needs, large or small. We offer you a flexible extension to your existing capabilities and a resource of advice when you need it most.
Our aim is to understand your requirements and in partnership generate the best possible plan for your microbiological needs; be it a Quality Control regime, a claims support study or a full investigation into production or product failure.
For an insight into the current regulations for cosmetic products, see our guidance document.